# Gateway 2.3: Open Source and Improved Reliability
We are pleased to announce the release of Enapter Gateway v2.3.1. This release marks a significant milestone with the open-sourcing of our proprietary "meta-enapter" layer. This underscores our commitment to the open-source and also significantly amplifies the reliability and robustness of Enapter Linux for IoT applications.
Version 2.3.1 was released on Nov 6, 2023.
# Open Source "meta-enapter" Layer
Enapter Linux is a custom Linux operating system image designed for use on IoT gateways, based on the Yocto Project (opens new window). In version 2.3, Enapter has open-sourced its base IoT layer, which includes several key components that enhance the reliability and robustness of Enapter Linux.
These components include:
- A read-only root file system, ensuring integrity and security.
- An intelligent boot fallback logic, providing seamless recovery options.
- Atomic updates, for minimal downtime and enhanced update reliability.
- First-class support for Docker/Podman containers, enabling effortless deployment and management of containerized applications.
By incorporating these features into Enapter Linux, it becomes more reliable and resilient for IoT gateway applications.
# Bug Fixes and Improvements
- Addressed various issues related to reliable operation across different environments and hardware.
- Implemented an optional WiFi watchdog feature that enables automatic reconnection in the event of rare connection losses.
- Utilized Enapter NTP pool for time synchronization, ensuring precise and consistent timekeeping.